Well, it’s actually International Science Centre & Science Museum Day but that doesn’t always roll off the tongue as easy as you’d like…
If you’re available today, stop by the Telus World Of Science and help them celebrate by checking out everything they’ve got going on today. You can also check out our interview with Jennifer Bawden (Science Director @ TWOSE) for info on what they have coming up. Here’s a summary and you can go here for all the details.
Edmonton’s Largest Science Experiment
Brace yourselves, Edmontonians! Things at the TELUS World of Science – Edmonton (TWOSE) are about to get ‘explosive’ in celebration of the 1st International Science Centre Day!
Thursday, November 10, 2016
Alongside friends from the community, TWOSE will conduct the biggest, craziest, wackiest science experiment ever performed by the science centre to-date, using these three items: 1. A large bin, 2. Approximately 1,500 ping-pong balls, and; 3. Liquid nitrogen.
Super Ping-Pong Eruption:
- Arrive between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. to inscribe your name, or a personalized message, on a ping-pong ball.
- At 1:45 p.m. gather in front of the science centre.
- At 2:00 p.m. prepare to watch as 1,500 ping-pong balls erupt into a fireworks display of ping-pong balls.
- Deluxe Guided Tours of the science centre:
Tours are 30-45 minutes and will feature live science demonstrations (create your own clouds!), mini-telescope workshops (view the sun through a telescope and UV filters), & more!
- Planetarium shows: Learn about atmospheres on different planets. Check showtimes.
- Explore TWOSE’s Touch Tanks: Get to know the friendly sea-creatures who reside in our aquarium with guided hands-on interactions.
- Meet TWOSE’s critters: You might meet George & Badger, our adorable sugar gliders; or Iggy, our bearded dragon, or even one of our tarantulas Itsy and Shelob. Learn all about these fascinating creatures and their natural habitats.
- A special environment inspired line-up of TWOSE’s best IMAX films, like: Wild Africa, Beautiful Planet, Island of Lemurs: Madagascar & more! (IMAX films are not included in Science Centre Admission)
Participants will be entered into a random draw to win a TWOSE’s Sky High Prize Package!
Just point your lens to the sky and snap a photo – in particular the clouds – and share your photo on social media with us using #MyTWOSE, for your chance to WIN! Makes sure to include the date and time your photo was taken.
We will draw one (1) winner on November 8, 2016. Winners will be notified via social media.
The Sky High Prize Package includes:
- Science Centre Admission for you and your family (up to a maximum of 6 people) on November 10, 2016. Includes admission to the Angry Birds Universe exhibition
- IMAX passes for you and your family (up to a maximum of 6 people), to watch one of our regularly scheduled IMAX films showing on November 10, 2016.
- A special “Deluxe Tour” of the science centre for you and your family (up to a maximum of 6 people). Deluxe Tours guided by TWOSE’s own staff scientists and are approximately 30 -45 minutes long. Tours will feature live science demonstrations (create your own clouds!), mini-telescope workshops (view the sun through a telescope and UV filters), an IMAX film, & more
- One (1) TELUS World of Science – Edmonton Swag Bag